One of the biggest health challenges we face today is STRESS! Here are the doctor’s top picks for destressing in a modern world:
Emotional Freedom Technique: This acupressure technique can neutralize the “negative charge” of stress, cravings, memories, and much more. Use it routinely for best results.
Relaxation Response: For a deeper relaxation, try this technique. It takes about 20 minutes and will bring relaxation head-to-toe.
Affirmations: monitor your self talk. What your brain believes is TRUE for your body as well. If you wouldn’t say it to a friend, don’t say it to yourself.
Emotional Freedom Technique:
1. Take a deep breath.
2. Begin tapping at point #1 “karate chop”.
3. Say your setup statement, “Even though I ______, I fully & completely love myself.” (insert feeling, craving, etc., into the blank).
4. Repeat your setup statement while gently tapping each point. Repeat twice.
5. Take another deep breath and repeat as necessary.
1. Sit quietly in a comfortable position.
2. Close your eyes.
3. Deeply relax all your muscles, beginning at your feet and progressing up to your face. Keep them relaxed.
4. Breathe through your nose. Become aware of your breathing. As you breathe out, say the word, “one”, silently to yourself. For example, breathe in … out, “one”,- in .. out, “one”, etc. Breathe easily and naturally.
5. Continue for 10 to 20 minutes. You may open your eyes to check the time, but do not use an alarm. When you finish, sit quietly for several minutes, at first with your eyes closed and later with your eyes opened. Do not stand up for a few minutes.
6. Do not worry about whether you are successful in achieving a deep level of relaxation. Maintain a passive attitude and permit relaxation to occur at its own pace. When distracting thoughts occur, try to ignore them by not dwelling upon them and return to repeating “one.” With practice, the response should come with little effort. Practice the technique once or twice daily, but not within two hours after any meal, since the digestive processes seem to interfere with
the elicitation of the Relaxation Response.
1. Take a negative affirmation you’ve been telling yourself and turn it into a positive real-time affirming statement.
2. Take a sticky note and write that affirmation on it. Place it somewhere prominent where you will see it routinely.
3. First thing in the morning and last thing at night repeat this statement to yourself. Catch yourself with the negative thought and repeat your positive affirmation instead.